A very slow couple of days around here!
We did not do many activities the last two days. Yesterday Gage wasn't feeling well and today I wasn't feeling up for the task and my house needed a good cleaning! Back to regularly scheduled events tomorrow though!
That being said, over the last two days I decided to experiment with a few fingerpaint recipes floating around Pinterest. I am sure you have seen them and pinned them. Please note that my opinions of these are based on my experience with them they may work better for you then they did for me or worse whichever the case may be.
The first one that I tried out yesterday with K and Gage was this:
For us, this was one was quite a bust. Aside from having to actually cook the ingredients which makes it difficult to throw together quickly, the end result was very gelatinous and globby. While I will admit it is entirely possible I some how messed something up in the process, I don't think that is likely. I definitely won't be trying this one again.
This is what ours turned out as:
I just wasn't entirely happy with the consistency given it was supposed to be fingerpaint. I let the boys use paint brushes with this but it was just to gooey for them to use without leaving behind globs on the paper.
The second one we attempted is one that I saw making its way around Facebook.
It calls for-
1 cup salt, 1 cup flour, 1 cup water, food coloring.
Let me just say that prior to attempting this recipe I really did not grasp just how much 1 cup of salt really is. That is a lot of salt! At first I didn't have enough salt to try this out so I had to pick up some more. Today we gave this a shot, I made it as far as mixing the ingredients but never added the color. As I said before maybe I did it wrong but the consistency and thickness of this one just did not seem like it would be anything that would appeal to the Littles.
Our end result was this:
It was extremely thick. Now if I happened to do this wrong and someone else has used this recipe with success I would love to know and know how you did it. For right now though, I won't be attempting this one again either. At this point I was getting fairly frustrated because I was 0 for 2 with 3 rather rowdy attention seeking Littles. I really wanted to find a recipe for home made paint to use with them because of how much paint we manage to go through. And we all know that finger paint is not very cheap.
The third and last recipe I have tried so far was another one from Pinterest. It is originally from this site: learncreatelove
So far this is my favorite paint recipe. Obviously since the other two turned out to be total busts for us. This one was easy and quick to whip up and the consistency was watery and more like that of paint. The ingredients could be easily found in your kitchen as well. The Littles had a blast with the paint that I made for them to use, well Little B and Gage did. K was not very interested in art today.
This is what they looked like on paper. A little transparent but they get the job done with no globs!
So I hope that this turns out to be useful to someone! I will be experimenting with more home made paint recipes here in the future but these are just our experiences thus far!